This month’s Quick Quiz addresses elements from the feature article on Accountability
Q 1 – What components of effective Accountability do you clarify for your reports?
- Obligation of task or performance to deliver or do?
- Results & actions expectations?
- To whom they owe their accountability and results?
Q2 – Responsibility & Authority is delegated “down” and in return, Accountability is owed back “up”.
- Are outcomes, values and possibly behaviours identified during your delegation?
- Do you avoid competing “pulls” or accountability to more than 1 person?
- Do you clarify What is required and by When – together?
- How do you handle competing accountabilities, or trade-offs in priority of accountabilities?
Q3 – Effective Point of AccountabilityTM
- When delegating responsibilities, do you ensure Single Points of accountability? (I.e. accountability is not shared, only one individual is accountable?
- Do you work to ensure that the individual closest to the action has the authority, access to information, and capability to be held accountable?
- When accountability for performance or results cascades down or across the organization, does the individual with the single point of accountability ensure that all the delegated responsibilities “add-up” to the total or more that he/she is held accountable to deliver?
- Are measures of success clear and known by all involved?