Mourning the Loss of Don Scellato CMC®, FIMC
We are saddened to inform you of the passing of Don Scellato CMC®, FIMC on May 18, 2017.
Don, who was recently lined up for nomination in serving the ICMCI Professional Standards Committee, influenced ICMCI through his work with IMC USA on:
- The initial CMC Firm concept, by developing assessment procedures for the beta conducted with one of the Big Four by IMC USA.
- ISO/IEC 17024:2003, by adapting IMC USA processes to conform to international best practices and demonstrating its value to a mature Institute.
- The CMC Competence Framework, by aligning the IMC USA version as one of its authors with the ICMCI CMC Competence Framework.
He also supported IMC USA in mentoring the Kazakhstan Institute during its provisional status. And, he co-developed a six-course management consulting training curriculum for EBRD and co-delivered a pilot test in Serbia and FYROM.
Don’s most profound contribution was promoting the integrity of the CMC, by drawing resources from other ICMCI Members like Canada and the UK and making them part of IMC USA processes. His skill working with other CMCs will be missed.
Regarding IMC USA, for over a decade, Don capably served his chapter NorCal (Northern California), as well as in several key national leadership positions, including Vice President for our Academy. He was always eager to help anyone who needed him and no job was too big or too small. His presence permeated every aspect of IMC USA and he authored many learning initiatives for IMC USA, including the refinement of our Consulting Competencies Framework. He assisted with the development of the Management Consulting Certificate Program and our seminal introductory course for management consultants, “Mastering Management Consulting”.
Don graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy in King Point, NY and subsequently worked in the shipping industry for American President Lines in numerous capacities, serving as General Manager in New York, Southern California, Hong Kong, and the Midwest. He specialized in logistics and was Director of Operations for North America as well as Manager of Fleet Control in the logistics department.
Don launched his consulting practice in 1996 as Principal of Scellato Consulting Services. During that time, he served on the Board of Directors of IMC USA, as the President of the Northern California Chapter, and held various roles as Special Events Chair. He published several computer guides and manuals.
IMC USA members and friends have responded as follows:
- “Don was a great, humble and extraordinarily supportive brother to everyone in IMC, and to people in his extended community. He taught me how to be part of a community, how to learn and share from your professional friends.”
- “A gentleman who will be missed.”
- “He was a great consultant.”
- “He was a true friend and wise counselor with a twinkle in his eye.”
- “He was a good mentor.”
- “Don was an inspiration.”
- “Don was one of the best human beings I have been privileged to know.”
Family and friends were invited and attended a Celebration of Don’s Life on Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 12:00 pm PT at Greer Family Mortuary and Cremation Services, 2694 Blanding Ave., Alameda, CA.
Donations in Don Scellato’s memory may be made to the IMC USA Foundation in remembrance of our generous and dedicated colleague (see link http://www.imcusa.org/donations/fund.asp?id=6535). Contributions will be used to further Don's legacy of professionalism and ethics in management consulting.